Shah Rukh Khan Promote Malay Traditional Dress, Baju Melayu

Advertisement
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, in traditional official black Malay costume and songkok, after he received his Datukship from Malacca State Governor Mohammad Khalil Yaakob in Malacca, on Dec 6.

Garbed in his tailor-made, black cekak musang baju Melayu (high collared traditional Malay outfit), the 43-year-old looks dashing albeit leaner (due to a hectic work schedule which includes the promo tour for his latest romantic drama, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi). (Thanks to Shah Rukh’s hard work, the Aditya Chopra-directed flick has bumped up movie ticket sales in post-blast Mumbai by 60%.) But still, this man has a body that is tailor-made for hero roles.

Even his baju Melayu fitter, Ridzuan Kamal can attest to it. “Shah Rukh is very fit. Even though we’ve designed his baju Melayu based on a body-hugging T-shirt that he sent us, I have to add 5cm to 7cm to the measurement as he’s wearing it, so that it fits nicely.”

It doesn’t matter if he encountered a bomb threat at the Mumbai airport shortly before departing for KLIA, or a torn ligament that’s causing him excruciating pain. Shah Rukh says nothing can stop him from wearing the baju Melayu, samping (wraparound waist cloth) and songkok (headgear), and meeting his fans in Malacca.

“I am very happy that I’ve found a big space in the hearts of the people here,” he beams proudly. “I cannot repay my fans for what they have done for me. They have given me so much love, and that love has taken me to where I am today.”